You can’t take a breath right now without hearing the word ChatGPT.
This is for good reason. It is the first consumer facing generative AI tool to capture the masses and provide many use cases in work and life tasks.
In this post, we’ll uncover what ChatGPT is, how it works, and how you can dive into the world of generative AI through it.
Key Facts 💡
- ChatGPT is a Large Language Model created by the team at OpenAI
- It took only 5 days for it to reach 1 million users. It launched in November 2022.
- Openai.com has 1.6 billion visits a month
- ChatGPT cannot access the internet. It is not aware of events post 2021.
What Exactly is ChatGPT?
At its core, ChatGPT is a virtual assistant powered by cutting-edge AI from the team at OpenAI.
But it’s not just any AI; it’s built on a foundation called “generative AI”. This means it doesn’t just follow pre-set commands. Instead, it generates responses by drawing from a vast reservoir of data it has been trained on.
Imagine a chatbot on steroids: capable of answering a myriad of questions, assisting with diverse tasks, and engaging in fluid conversations.
You’ll often hear tools Like ChatGPT classed as a Large Language Model (LLM).
A large language model (LLM) is a type of artificial intelligence (AI) algorithm that uses deep learning techniques and massively large data sets to understand, summarize, generate and predict new content.Tech Target
The Magic Behind ChatGPT: Generative AI
There’s actually no magic, but the title was fancy, right?
Generative AI is like the genius behind the curtain.
Traditional AI models often operate on fixed sets of rules or instructions. In contrast, generative models “learn” by being exposed to enormous amounts of data.
Through this, they can produce or “generate” content that wasn’t in their original training data. This is how ChatGPT can give answers or hold conversations on topics it hasn’t been explicitly programmed for.
It’s almost like having a chat with someone who has read every book, article, and webpage out there!
Be warned. It comes with it’s limitations and is open to bias, disinformation and hallucinations at times. The first rule of ChatGPT is to always fact check what it says.
Getting Started with ChatGPT: A Beginner’s tour
- Access: Navigate to https://chat.openai.com/ and create a free account.
- Engage: Locate the chat interface. It’s at the bottom of your screen.
- Converse: Start by typing in a greeting or question. Once you hit enter, the magic begins. In moments, ChatGPT will respond, and from there, the sky’s the limit.
- Experiment: The beauty of ChatGPT lies in its versatility. Ask about historical events, seek advice on a recipe, delve into scientific principles, or just indulge in some light-hearted banter.
Pro tips for a better ChatGPT experience
- Clarity is Key: While ChatGPT is impressively intelligent, being specific in your queries can lead to more accurate answers.
- Rephrase When in Doubt: If an answer isn’t quite what you expected, try asking in a different way. Different phrasings can produce varied responses.
- Fact-Check: Remember, AI, even as advanced as ChatGPT, isn’t infallible. If something sounds off or is critical, always cross-check with reliable sources.
Whether you’re a tech enthusiast or someone just looking for a smart chat companion, ChatGPT is worth exploring.
It’ simple to get started and is a low barrier of entry to the world of generative artificial intelligence. Happy exploring, human 🤖.
Make AI Your Partner, Not The Problem 🤝
Join L&D professionals future-proofing their skills with AI in hours, not days.
👉 Get started with my ChatGPT beginner’s crash course.
Before you go… 👋
If you like my writing and think “Hey, I’d like to hear more of what this guy has to say” then you’re in luck.
You can join me every Tuesday morning for more tools, templates and insights for the modern L&D pro in my weekly newsletter.